I have been struggeling a bit to set up a Sitecore 7.5 solutions with a visual studio project outside the web root, in my case Visual Studio 2013. Most of the documentation are a bit old and for a beginner it can be quite difficult to get everything working correctly.This is how I mange to do it (I'm shure that there are many other ways to do it, some of them probably better...):
- Do a complete install of Sitecore 7.5 with the installer.
- Create a new Visual Studio project, ASP.NET Web application. Place this outside the web root. Use an empty project an chech the "MVC" checkbox.
- Replace the projects global.asax and web.config with the once found in the Sitecore solution.
- Create an folder called "lib" in the web project and copy the following dll:s from the Sitecore solution: Sitecore.Kernel.dll and Sitecore.Mvc.dll.
- Add the dll:s in step 4 as references. Set "Copy local" to "false" (to get intellisense to work we might have to set them to "true" later).
- Remove the "System.*" references in the project that have corresponding "System.*" dll:s in the Sitecore solutions website/bin-folder.
- Add references to all "System.*" dll:s in the Sitecore solutions website/bin-folder. You might optionally copy them to the "lib"-folder in step 4 and add the references from there.
- Setup a publishing profile that publishes the the project to the website of the Sitecore solution.
- Enable "Web One Click Publish" by right click the Visual Studio top toolbar and enable it.
- Connect the project to Sitecore rocks by right click project and select "Sitecore" -> "Connect to Sitecore..."
You should now be able to work with your views and controllers separately from the Sitecore web root. Good luck!